A Medfield eighth grader will be performing with the New England Conservatory's Youth Jazz Orchestra this month.
Ryan MacLean, who attends Blake Middle School in Medfield, will play with the orchestra on Tuesday, May 20 at NEC's Jordan Hall, located at 290 Huntington Ave. in Boston.
The free concert is set to feature music by conductor, orchestra founder and NEC Jazz Studies Department Chair Ken Schaphorst, as well as Tony Williams, and Randy Weston, among others.
The current orchestra includes the following students:
- Eamon Sheil: (Ashland): Alto and soprano saxophones
- Kira Daglio Fine (Lexington): Alto saxophone
- Josh Noel (Marshfield) and Ryan MacLean (Medfield): Tenor saxophones
- Grace-Mary Burega (Canton): Baritone saxophone
- Hyun Shin (Southborough), Samuel Atallah (Needham), Diego Opperman (Arlington) and Nate Williams (Arlington): Trumpets
- William Hess (Milton), Gibson Leavitt (Hatchville), Michael Sabin (Needham) and Harrison Miller: Trombones
- Noah Landis (South Berwick, ME): Piano
- Richard Oates: Guitar
- Noah Harrington (Lexington): Bass
- Noah Klavens (Newton): Drums