The Medfield High School Boosters has changed its name to the MHS PTO (parent teacher organization).
PTO representatives say the name has changed but the mission remains the same: “We support Academics, Athletics, The Arts, and More for the entire high school community.”
The PTO is currently seeking volunteers to join the group, and specifically need people to serve as officers starting as soon as possible.
“In high school, your kids will strive for independence more than ever. Volunteering with the PTO will give you [emphasis added] opportunities to help and interact with MHS staff and students,” say organizers. “This gives you a better understanding of your child’s school life so you can relate and talk to your kids without intruding on their privacy.”
The group raises money to help fund programs at the high school.
Various fundraisers include:
- Conducted Fall Membership Drive (primary fundraiser)
- Managed SCRIP Gift Card sales
- Ran MHS Turf concession stand
- Coordinated monthly Italian Groceria fundraisers
- Raised funds for All Night Grad from a Donation Drive, a Senior Fashion Show, and monthly fundraisers with Subway Restaurant
Among the grants awarded last year were:
- Pep-Rally T-Shirts for ALL students
- Football Tackle Training Machine for improved athlete safety and performance
- Funding to further develop the Ballroom Dance Program
- Scholarships for Graduating Seniors
- MacBook Pro & Creative Software for Visual Arts
- Safety Gear for Wellness Elective simulation exercises
- Jazz Band Assistance for the Mingus Festival
- Special Workshop in New York for the Theatre Society
Nine Kindle E-Book Readers for the Library
Rachel’s Challenge (Kindness) Assemblies
- Enhancements for SAT Prep Course
- Teacher Inspiration Award
- Fitness Center Sound System
In addition, the then-Boosters helped with the All Night Graduation Party to provide graduating seniors with a memorable evening to celebrate graduation in a safe, substance-free environment
The group also provides hospitality for:
- Three Teacher Luncheons including a joint BBQ Luncheon with Blake CSA
- Welcome-Back Breakfast for Teachers
- Three Coffees With the Principal for Parents
- Waters and Décor for Graduation
- Snacks for the Evening of Excellence
Mark Your Calendar: Freshman parents are invited to attend the PTO’s first fall meeting during the first week of school on September 5 at 7 p.m. in the high school library.
The information in this story was taken from a bulletin sent from the PTO to Medfield Patch.