A fundraiser for , raised over $8,500 this weekend.
A two-hour "Ryde for Taylor Ryde-a-Thon" was held on Saturday at Medfield’s H.Y.P. Studio, 120 North Meadows Road, where people sponsored a bike and several people then took shifts riding to raise money for Taylor and his family.
"It went great! We had over 60 'ryders' and we raised over $8,500," said organizer Katie O'Connell, who is also a family friend. "We want to give a big thank you to HYP, HYP staff, owners Dennis Ozer and Debra Goodman, and all the Ryders that came from all over -- Medfield, Sherborn, Medway, Millis, Sudbury, Natick, Duxbury, Norfolk, Holliston and more. Roche Bros donated fruit and bagels for the ride."
Many Medfield residents participated in this event. The football teams of the Medfield Warriors and the Millis/Hopedale Mohawks have enjoyed a good relationship for several years. Many of the players from both teams played Viking Pop Warner together, and the two football programs work out together over the summer.
On Wednesday, Taylor was transferred to the Shepherd Center in Atlanta, one of the top rehabilitation hospitals in the nation, specializing in thoracic spinal cord injury which Taylor has, said O’Connell.
Taylor has use of his arms but has no feeling from his chest down, he said on Facebook last week.
Earlier this morning, Taylor posted this message from the Shepherd Center.
He was referring to a hudl reel of a Sept. 21 game against Norton in which Taylor had the Top Play of the game. "Sacks capitalizes on the blocked kick and takes it in for the win," says the clip.
Additional fundraisers are being organized to raise money for the Sack family to cover expenses not covered by insurance.
"There are so many costs to a family during this time and in the future," said O'Connell.
- Sat., March 16, 8 p.m. to 11 p.m., Ryan Family Amusement Center, 1170 Main Street, Millis. $10 pp
- Sun., March 17, 9 a.m. Strides for Sack 5k. Veteran's Memorial Bldg, Mills. Event day registration 8 a.m. Early registration, Saturday 10am-2pm at the Veteran's Memorial building gymnasium
- Sun., March 17, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., 50' Closer to a Cure (Teen Strongman Event), 6 Main Street, Medway
- Sun., April 28, 1 p.m., Gold's Gym parking lot, "STAYSTRONG SACK" Boot Camp, 27 Milliston Road, Millis. $10pp
- TBD, Trivia Night, Mickey Cassidy's, 116 Main Street, Medway. $10pp. Put a team together or join a team when you get there.
Donations can also be made to The Sack Family Support Fund, Middlesex Savings Bank, 36A Milliston Rd, Millis, MA 02054. Donations can also be dropped off at any branch office (be sure to note "Sack Family Support Fund" on the check).