TOWN OF MEDFIELD, MASSACHUSETTS
REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
-TERM GROUND LEASE
The Town of Medfield is seeking proposals for a long-term ground lease of 11.2 acres of undeveloped land located off Ice House Road in the northwest quadrant of the Town (Parcel ID: Map 56 Lot 044, IE zoning district). The preferred use for the site is for the development of a facility that is consistent with current zoning and complementary to the surrounding existing establishments. Competing uses such as senior center, health club, spa, restaurant and/or function facilities will not be considered. The Town acquired this land as part of the purchase of 30 acres of industrial and residential land in 1995 and the Bay Circuit Trail passes over a portion of the property.
The Medfield Town Meeting has given the Board of Selectmen approval to lease this land for a period not to exceed 99 years. The land is serviced by town water and sewer. Electric and gas lines are in public ways proximate to the site. Ice House Road was constructed to Town standards by the Town in 2006. The developer selected will be responsible for payment of real estate and personal property taxes on the building and contents, in addition to lease payments on the land. There will be no property taxes on the land as the town will retain ownership. The developer selected will be responsible for obtaining and paying for all permits, licenses and approvals required to proceed with the development.
Proposers should have completed development of other projects of similar type, size, scope, and complexity to the project described above and must demonstrate the ability to obtain financing for such a project. In addition, they should have at least three years experience with the operation of the proposed facility and/or a completed business plan and pro forma.
PROPOSAL SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS
All proposers must submit following information:
1. Description of the corporate background, including a description of the firm's experience with particular attention to identifying projects in which similar development was undertaken and/or completed. If the facility will be operated by another entity, this information should be provided for that entity as well.
2. Identification of the project team, including the developer and specific individuals who will be charged with overall responsibility for design and construction of this project, as well as the specific responsibilities of all other members of the development team. Provide a resume for each of these members. The resume shall outline the individual's educational and professional achievements including the number of years of experience dealing with similar projects and tenure with the firm. If the facility will be operated by another entity, this information should be provided for all individuals who will be charged with overall responsibility for the operation of that entity, as well.
3. A list of all development projects, which the firm has undertaken in the past five years, highlighting experience in the development of projects similar to the planned proposal for this project, which the firm has designed, constructed, financed or operated.
4. A preliminary pro-forma, which details the projected income and expenses for at least the first five years of the lease period.
5. The proposed term of the lease and options to extend, if any.
6.Total estimated value of proposed improvements to the property.
7.A preliminary financing schedule, including financing commitments, if available, from any lending institutions from which construction or permanent financing is proposed.
8. Evidence of corporate stability as evidenced by providing detailed corporate financial information that can be used to evaluate and ascertain the firm’s ability to undertake, complete and operate the facility.
9. Identification of any firms or individuals not part of your firm who will be collaborating on this project and a detailed description of their role in this project. A complete resume and description of the length and substance of their experience as it relates to this project shall be provided.
10. A detailed description, including approximate size, layout, type of construction and exterior appearance of the proposed facility to be built on the site and facilities which will be included within this project.
11. A description of the business, which will be operated at the facility and the proposed hours of operation.
12. The average and peak estimated water and sewerage demands for the proposed facilities.
13. A description of energy conservation measures beyond minimum Massachusetts Building Code standards or use of renewable energy systems.
14. The estimated total employees and depending on the service or product, the user-ship and peak usage (number of users and time of day and seasonally).
15. Average weekly peak traffic and vehicular attendance.
16. A schedule of lease payments that will be paid to the Town of Medfield for the use of the land. If any non-monetary consideration is to be provided to residents of the Town, such as, reduced fees or coaching and/or sponsorship for youth sports teams, this should also be included with the schedule of lease payments.
PROPSAL SELECTION CRITERIA
The Board of Selectmen, in consultation with the Economic Development Committee, will review the responses to this Request for Proposals and rank the proposals that have been submitted. Once the proposals have been ranked, the Committee may select firms to be interviewed. Firms may be asked to provide further detail regarding their proposals, qualifications, and/or finances. The Selectmen and Economic Development Committee may select one firm with whom a contract will be negotiated. The final negotiated contract shall be approved by Town Counsel and awarded by the Board of Selectmen.
The ranking and selection of the finalists will be based upon the information provided in the proposals. The selection of the finalists will be based primarily on the following criteria:
1 Value of lease payments, tax revenue and non-monetary considerations;
2. Demonstrated experience in designing, constructing, financing and operating the proposed facility
3. Demonstrate expertise and relevant experience of key support personnel from the firm(s), and consultants who will be assigned to the project, such as architects, engineers and heath and other consultants, as well as the management team;
4. Financial stability;
5. Capacity to finance the proposal;
6. Demonstrated ability to complete development projects on time and within estimated project costs;
7. Demonstrate understanding of the project requirements;
8. Potential for the project to be built and operated;
9. Consideration given to Medfield residents who may be elderly, disabled, or low-income; or the youth and school systems in town.
10. The degree to which the proposal addresses the aesthetic and operational concerns of the Town and, in particular, the surrounding neighborhood;
11. The degree to which the project affects the residents of Medfield in positive manner.
12. Whether the Town's infrastructure can service the proposed development.
Questions regarding the project may be submitted in writing to the Town Administrator. Questions should be faxed, and should be submitted any time prior to noon on ____, _____ __, 2014. Questions can be sent to:
Michael Sullivan, Town Administrator
Medfield Town House
459 Main Street
Medfield, MA 02052
The Town will receive, through the Office of the Board of Selectmen, responses to this Request for Proposals. Ten copies of each response, plus one electronic copy, must be delivered to the Office of the Board of Selectmen by noon on _____, ____ __, 2014.
TOWN OF MEDFIELD
REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
LONG TERM GROUND LEASE
The Town of Medfield is seeking proposals for a long-term ground lease of 11.2 acres of undeveloped land located off Ice House Road in the northwest quadrant of the Town (Parcel ID: Map 56 Lot 044, IE zoning district). The preferred use for the site is for the development of a facility that is consistent with current zoning and complementary to the existing establishments. Competing uses such as senior center, health club, spa, restaurant and/or function facilities will not be considered. The Board of Selectmen has Town Meeting approval to lease this land for a period not to exceed 99 years.
All firms/individuals interested can retain a copy of the Request for Proposals from Mr. Michael Sullivan, Town Administrator, 459 Main Street, Medfield, MA 02052 or by calling (508) 906-3012.
The deadline for submitting a proposal is ___ at 12:00 noon. Ten (10) hard copies of the proposal must be submitted to Michael Sullivan 459 Main Street, MA 02052, by this date and time. Please also include one (1) electronic version of the proposal on a disc. All submissions must be clearly labeled "Lot 3 Long Term Ground Lease" on the exterior of the envelope/package. Late proposals will not be accepted. The Town reserves the right to reject any or all proposals and/or limit the scope of this project or as deemed in the best interest of the Town.