To the Editor:
On February 15th our community honored the Medfield institution, Lord’s Department Store, in a wonderful celebration that took place at the store and will be remembered for years to come. Lord’s will close its doors for the last time on February 28th.
I want to thank the following people and groups for their contributions and for giving so many people the gift of closure as we bid our beloved Lord’s farewell:
- The Celebrate Lord’s Committee members who answered the call without hesitation to organize the event: Brandie Morris, Colleen Sullivan, Chris McCue Potts, Jo Ellen Collins, Mark Fisher, Ted Pidcock and Theresa Knapp.
- Medfield Employers and Merchants Organization (MEMO) for providing the funding and sound system for the event.
- Each of the speakers who shared sentiments at the event: - Medfield Police Chief Bob Meaney, Superintendent of Schools Bob Maguire, MEMO President Brandie Morris, Veterans Affairs Officer Ron Griffin, Veteran, family friend and former Fire Chief Joe Ryan, Town Historian Richard DeSorgher, Selectman Mark Fisher, Town Administrator Mike Sullivan, State Representative Denise Garlick, Lions Club representative Steve Kramer, and long time Lord’s employee Barbara Bolzani.
- The Medfield Historical Society for sharing their space for our meetings and for preserving our town’s history.
- Medfield TV for taping the event and facilitating the audio memories.
- Medfield Patch for keeping the community updated with stories, photos and information.
- Photography provided by Colleen Sullivan.
- Medfield High School String Chamber Group led by teacher Sharon Woodworth.
- The DJ, Dennis Flaherty, and “My Sweet Lord’s” song composer Jerry Potts.
- CHILLYBEARS for underwriting the lighting at the event.
- Medfield Fire Chief Bill Kingsbury for overseeing trash removal.
Finally, I need to thank Nancy Kelly Lavin and Tom Kelly for graciously allowing us to invade the store for the party and for sharing photos and memorabilia with us.
Nancy Norris, Chairperson of the Celebrate Lord’s Committee