.

More Information on MHS's Mock Election

MHS students voice their opinions in mock election.

This year's presidential, senatorial and congressional elections were held nationally on November 6, 2012. President Barack Obama was, in fact, reelected for a second term, while Elizabeth Warren won the Senate and Joe Kennedy, the House.  However, Medfield High School decided to get a head start, and held its very own mock election on October 25, 2012 – with slightly different results.

During students' advisories (groups of same-grade students who meet biweekly in designated teachers' classrooms), the students received copies of legitimate Massachusetts ballots that even included policy-related questions. The simulated election gave students who are not yet 18 the chance to voice their opinions.

Senior Andie Braun said, "I'm happy to have been able to have a say in our school's election turnout. As a 17-year-old, it's frustrating to be so close to 18 and not be able to vote." She continued by saying, "At school, I was able to cast a vote that actually counted for something."

After collecting and counting ballots, the results were determined. Much like in the national election, incumbent Democratic president Barack Obama was MHS's presidential choice. He received 53% of MHS's votes, while nationally receiving 50% of the popular vote. 41% of MHS voted for Republican governor Mitt Romney, while 48% of the U.S. did. Second-party candidates Jill Stein and Gary Johnson grossed percentages at MHS as well, Stein with 4% and Johnson with 2%.

At the high school, Senator Scott Brown won 71% of the votes, while Elizabeth Warren earned the remaining 29%. As determined on November 6, Warren actually won the Massachusetts Senate.

56% of MHS's voters elected Joe Kennedy for Congress, while Sean Bielat earned 33%, and Dennis Rosa grossed 10%. As MHS anticipated, Kennedy did win. MHS U.S. History and AP U.S. Government and Politics teacher Kevin Murphy assisted Social Studies Content Specialist Kathleen Emerson in the tallying of the votes, and announced the results the following morning. Mr. Murphy and Mrs. Emerson were not the only teachers enthusiastic about the election, however.

English teacher Libby Weise commented, "I found it interesting to take the political pulse of the school." Having taken the pulse of the school, and now the nation, the actual correlation between MHS and the U.S. can now be analyzed.

By Ali MacDonald

This article was written by Ali MacDonald, a Medfield High School student and member of the student newspaper, The Kingsbury Chronicle. The piece is part of Medfield Patch's weekly series, "Warrior Weekly," helping provide information about MHS to the local community.

This post is contributed by a community member. The views expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Patch Media Corporation. Everyone is welcome to submit a post to Patch. If you'd like to post a blog, go here to get started.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »