Week in Review: MHS Graduation, Chain Coffee Shops and State Tourney
A recap of this week's headlines from June 3-9.
Miss anything in Medfield this week? Here's your chance to sit back and catch up on some Patch. Below is a recap of the week that was at Medfield Patch:
We started the week with a photo gallery of Medfield High School's 2012 graduating class and speeches from Sunday's graduation ceremonies.
Medfield High School graduation coverage:
- PHOTOS: 226 Medfield High School Seniors Graduate Sunday
- VIDEO: Graduation Messages to the Medfield High School Class of 2012
- PHOTOS: Medfield High School's All-Night Graduation Party Turns 20
We also provided updates on the Dunkin' Donuts proposal for the former Friendly's site at the corner of Routes 109 and 27 and the Starbucks proposal at the site of the current Mobil station. We then asked Medfield residents what they thought was missing from the downtown area.
- Historic District Commission Approves Revised Dunkin' Donuts Plans for Friendly's Site
- Starbucks Reps Meet with Medfield's Historical Commission and Historic District Commission
- POLL: What’s Missing in Downtown Medfield?
In last week’s police logs, there were 10 mailboxes damaged, a blown transformer reported and an incident of vandalism.
In local government this past week, the town announced at its Board of Selectmen meeting that Medfield's average tax increase is 2.6 percent. Here's a look at what else was discussed at Tuesday's BOS meeting.
- Selectmen Notes: Town's Average Tax Increase is 2.6 Percent; Officials Support Timilty's MSH Amendment
- Town Officials Urge Increase in Recycling as Hauling Fees Increase
- Peterson: Selectmen Show Interest in Forming Town Advisory Committee
In sports, we saw four teams eliminated from state tournament play, while the Medfield High School girls' lacrosse team won two huge games against Duxbury and Hopkinton to claim the 2012 Division 2 South Sectional title and advance to the D2 State Championship game on June 11.
- Medfield Boys' Tennis Falls to Sharon Again in D2 South Tourney
- Warriors Scoreboard: Girls' Lax Beats Hopkinton for D2 South Sectional Title
Last week's Pet of the Week was a cat named "Bam Bam."
Our Recipe of the week was strawberry salad.
And our gardening tip of the week was herbs must be part of your garden.
We also published obituaries from May 19-28.
Other news around town this week includes:
- Local Author to Begin Filming Pilot for Vampire TV Series this Summer
- Sullivan: A Decade's Worth of Memories of Medfield's Relay for Life
- Poll: Brown, Warren Agree to Debate in US Senate Race
- POLL: Should Rhode Island Have Given Curt Schilling $75m for 38 Studios?
- First Farmers' Market of Season a Success in Medfield
- Montrose School Science Stars Place 4th in MIT Competition
- Amoruso: How Do Medfield High School Students Balance it All?
- Real Estate: 9 Homes Sold in Medfield this Week
- DeSorgher: Baxter Park – Television Spa to Noon Hill Grill
- Local Shop Owner Raises $2,500 at Kids Cancer Buzz Off Event
- House Hunt: 4 Open Houses in Medfield this Weekend
- Dale Street's 5th Grade Band Showcases Skill at Spring Concert
- Medfield Community to Walk for Olivia Saturday
- 'Contraband' Tops Medfield's Redbox Rentals Again
- Three Seasons Equal Three Championships at Montrose School