Week in Review: Memorial Day, Starbucks, Car Accidents and State Tourney
A recap of this week's headlines from May 27 to June 2.
Miss anything in Medfield this week? Here's your chance to sit back and catch up on some Patch. Below is a recap of the week that was at Medfield Patch:
We started the week with a photo gallery and recap of Memorial Day ceremonies in Medfield.
Memorial Day coverage:
- PHOTOS: Medfield Remembers Veterans on Memorial Day
- VIDEO: Memorial Day 2012 – Honor Them and Never Forget
We spoke with State Senator James Timilty on the issues involving the Medfield State Hospital property.
In this week’s police logs, there were two car accidents that involved OUI liquor charges in town and a Millis woman was arrested on a breaking and entering felony charge.
- Walpole Man Faces 5 Charges After Car Crash in Medfield
- Medfield Man Arrested for OUI After 3-Car Crash Wednesday
- Millis Woman Arrested for B&E in Medfield
In business around town this week, we took a closer look at a developer’s interest in bringing Starbucks to Medfield to replace the current Mobil gas station and listed the top 10 highest paid public employees in Medfield in 2011. The earnings listed included all overtime and other pay. In other business, three homes sold in Medfield this week and there were 11 homes holding open houses.
- Top 10 Highest Paid Public Employees in Medfield
- Developers Show Interest in Bringing Starbucks to Medfield
- Real Estate: 3 Homes Sold in Medfield this Week
- House Hunt: 11 Open Houses in Medfield this Weekend
And what a busy week in sports we had. State tournament action got underway for eight Medfield teams, beginning with the MHS girls’ and boys’ track teams in the MIAA D3 Championships. The girls’ finished 11th and the boys’ finished 15th at the meet. The boys’ lacrosse team won two tournament games this past week, advancing to the MIAA D2 East Sectional quarterfinals against Catholic Memorial. The girls’ lacrosse team also won two games this week, advancing to the MIAA D2 South Sectional semifinals against Duxbury. The Medfield softball team won its opener against Martha’s Vineyard to advance to the first round of the MIAA D2 South Sectional state tournament against Abington. Both tennis teams won their first round games to advance to the next round of the Division 2 South Sectional state tournaments.
- Medfield's Worthy Wins 800 Meter Run in MIAA D3 Championships
- PHOTOS: Medfield Boys' Lax Beats Walpole to Advance in D2 State Tourney
- PHOTOS: Medfield Dominant in First Round Win to Advance in D2 South Tourney
- PHOTOS: Medfield Boys' Lax Knocks Off Marblehead; Advances to D2 Quarterfinals
- PHOTOS: Medfield Softball Advances in MIAA D2 South State Tournament
- PHOTOS: Medfield Girls' Lax Tops Norwell to Advance to D2 South Semis
- Warriors Scoreboard: Medfield's Baseball Season Ends in Middleboro; Tennis Teams Advance
Other news around town this week includes:
- Local Author Launches eBook Series for Young Adults
- Medfield Girl Scouts Sold 18,874 Boxes of Cookies This Year
- Medfield Teen to Perform with Electric Youth at Showcase Live
- Fragola: A Q&A with MHS Student Joe Marie
- Montrose School's Molly Cahill Competes in Scripps National Spelling Bee
- Medfield's Jazz Night Draws Crowd of More Than 400
- DeSorgher: 'From My Window on Main Street'
- Medfield Teen Expands Cape Cod Business