With a 47-43 win over Duxbury on Saturday, the Medfield High Warrior Girls Basketball Team has made it to the Division 2 State Semifinals.
The Warriors will take on defending state champions Reading Rockets at the TD Garden on tonight, March 11, at 6 p.m.
Editor's Note: Patch will cover the semifinals with a CoverItLive game blog. Check back here at 5:45 p.m. for live coverage (there may be a slight delay if the previous game runs late).
Saturday's game -- played at UMass Boston -- came down to free throws and more free throws, reports Boston.com.
"This was a tremendous win for our team," Warriors Coach Mark Nickerson told Patch, noting it was a "very tough and physical game. Definitely a defensive struggle."
Here is Nickerson's recap of the game:
We had a terrible time finishing inside. They [Duxbury] were a very big team with four girls over 6'2" on their roster and three of them on the floor at once.
We got out to a slow start, trailing 9 - 6 after the first but found a little rhythm in the 2nd, getting a 15 - 13 lead at one point but went into the half down 17 - 15.
We continued to struggle to score in the 2nd half. With about 3:30 left, our senior captain Jen Narlee fouled out of the game. Before Jen stepped off the floor, she brought the girls together (I am not sure what she said) and the team seemed to rally behind her words.
We finally took the lead with 50 seconds left on a couple of foul shots by Lauren Petit and then put the game away from the line on clutch foul shots by Payton Ouimette, Delaney Lawson and Lauren Petit.
Medfield's Athletic Director Eric Scott is organizing a fan bus for Monday, leaving at 4:30 p.m. Students interested in going should contact Scott as soon as possible at firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by the Athletic Director's office on Monday morning.
See More on Patch
- Medfield Girls Softball Plays Ursuline in Memory of Teacher's Daughter
- Warriors' Dream Season Ends With Championship Win
- Medfield Dominates Nashoba for State Title Win
- Medfield Girls Basketball Plays Duxbury Today in Sectional Championship
- Medfield Girls Hockey End Season in Heartbreaking Fashion in Shootout Loss to Walpole
Most Popular articles
- Bubble Gum Bob's Birthday Party: May 31
- Things Are Rolling Along at Kingsbury Grist Mill
- Police Log: Amber Alert, Turtle in Road, Voices in Woods, Toilet-Papered, and More
- State Hospital Vandalism, Drunk Boyfriend, Gun Shots, Someone in House, and More
- "Childhood Memories of Medfield State Hospital," by Harry (Wally) Gardiner